This is definitely a comfort food in my home. This Indian-inspired vegan dish is warm (and spicy!), creamy and filling.
Lentils are a great source of protein but any other protein can be used with the same curry base. Recipe serves 4-6 people.
2-3 TB Coconut oil
1 small onion - diced
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 tsp Red chili flakes (more or less depending on your preferred spice level)
2 tsp Grated Ginger
1 TB Turmeric
1.5 TB Curry Powder
1.5 tsp Coriander
1.5 tsp Cumin
1.5 tsp Salt
1.5 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 large can or 2 small cans of Diced Tomatoes (no salt added, preferred)
1 can Unsweetened Coconut Milk or Cream (cream will give much thicker, creamy consistency)
1.5 cup Uncooked Red Lentils
1 cup Vegetable Broth (if you don’t have broth, no worries! Sub for equal parts Water)
1 cup Water
1 tsp White Sugar
*It’s important to season each new layer you add into the pot. You’ll be seasoning through the entire process instead of adding all the seasoning in one step to help build the flavor. The measurements above are rough estimates and can be adapted to your preference :)
1. Heat coconut oil on medium high heat in a large pot. Add onions, a sprinkle of salt and pepper and 1 tsp of red chili flakes (more or less depending on how spicy you like it) and saute until translucent.
2. Lower the heat to medium and add minced garlic, grated ginger, about a TB of curry powder, ½ TB Turmeric, ½ cumin, ½ coriander and stir to combine and temper the spices for about 2 minutes. (If it starts to get too dry, lower the heat or add a bit more coconut oil)
3. Add diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper and warm the tomatoes through.
4. Add uncooked lentils, vegetable broth, water and remaining spices (curry powder, turmeric, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper) and bring to a slow boil
5. Lower the heat to a simmer and add the coconut milk.
6. Cover and simmer on low, stirring frequently for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Add white sugar and season to taste and remove from heat.
7. Enjoy over rice!